Independent Bookstore Day, an annual a celebration of local, independent bookshops, is coming up on April 29, and Upshur Street Books is all in, with lots of events, discounts and more. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Here's more about the event, which is running 10am-10pm.
The goal is to celebrate everything that is wonderful about independent bookstores: quirky, diverse, personalized, kinda nerdy, and of course connected to the community and to the literary world.
Here are some of the activities planned:
Finally, the store will be decked out with balloons and stocked with tasty treats (pastries, literary themed snacks, and coffee). It will be a great time from .
- Kids games: an activity area set up for kids to do puzzles and draw their favorite characters
- Bookish prizes: Upshur Books swag and books as prizes for social media posts tagged @bookstoreday & @UpshurStBooks
- Blind Date with a Book: at the register, we'll have wrapped books with brief descriptions on them. With a purchase, you can take a look and bring one home for a free literary surprise
- Indie Get Lit: next door at Petworth Citizen's Reading Room we have an ongoing series of cocktails-inspired-by-
literature, and , all the books will be from our favorite indie presses
- Surprise discounts: each hour of the day, we will discount a different genre
- Special displays: some of our favorite authors are sending us a list of the three books that most influenced them, and these will be on display. Our staff will each have shelves of their must-reads
- IBD banner: in the front of the store, we'll have a banner with markers for customers to write a story about Upshur Street Books or share their favorite thing about indie bookstores